I was so excited with how this turned out I had to share it. I was putting something together for a friend yesterday when I found this bracelet. I have such a weakness for bracelets. It was just a string of plain medallions, and I thought I'd dress it up.
Originally I was going to put some old fashioned typewriter letters on there. I've always wanted a bracelet or ring with an old typewriter font. But then I thought it would look even better with bits of text. I thought about using newspaper, but I was afraid the ink would smudge. A book would do nicely, but I didn't want to deface one of my books. That's when I decided to use one of my own stories (It also avoids any copyright violations).
I printed a copy of my story Blackbird Singing, which was published a couple of years ago. It's about a bird who's song heralds death. I had to use a tiny font to have the words fit on the medallions. I picked sections of the text for the words that appeared, words I thought were important to the story: blackbird, window, rain, singing, waiting. At the last minute I also decided to add a bit of the title in there.
The measuring and cutting were the hardest part. Once I had the text cut out, I glued each circle to the bracelet. Once dry, I applied sealant over the paper to protect it.
Once the gluing and drying was done, I attached a clasp and found a little black bird charm to go with the theme of the bracelet.
I really pleased it turned out so well. I'm not a very crafty person, so to have it come out the way I wanted is a big bonus. Now I just can't wait to wear it.