So you've finished your story. Now what? You edit, of course.
You might have your own editing process. Here are the steps I follow for mine.
- Put it away, the longer the better. A few days at least, or a week or even more. Time away gives me a fresh outlook when I return.
- Trim unnecessary and duplicate words. Simplify the language.
- Check for errors. This includes spell check, checking for the correct use of homonyms such as there/they're, and correcting passive voice.
- Check the formatting to make sure it is correct and consistent.
- Read it out loud. Even when I think I'm done, this little trick catches mistakes I missed.
Once the editing is done, it helps to have someone else read your story. Two sets of eyes are better than one.
Have your own editing process, or something to add? I'd love to hear it.
My A to Z Challenge on Writing Away